Interested in Starting a Career in Real Estate?
Becoming a REALTOR® is a straightforward process, and it’s open to many real estate professionals, including appraisers, brokers, and agents. In this article, we’ll cover the key differences between real estate agents and REALTORS® and how you can become a REALTOR® in three easy steps.
1. Become an Agent
Before you can be a REALTOR®, you’ve got to become a licensed Texas real estate agent. Licensee requirements vary from state to state.
- Citizen of the United States of lawfully admitted alien
- 18 years of age or older
- Resident of Texas
- Meet TREC’s qualifications for honesty, trustworthiness and integrity
- Consider requesting a Moral Character Determination through TREC before applying for the license
Complete Pre-Licensing Education
- Complete 180 hours of approved pre-licensing education, consisting of six courses of 30 classroom hours each:
- Principles of Real Estate I
- Principles of Real Estate II
- Law of Agency
- Law of Contracts
- Promulgated Contracts Forms
- Real Estate Finance
Apply for License
Take your Exam
- Once TREC approves your application, schedule your licensing exam with PearsonVUE.
- Pass the exam within three attempts to avoid additional education requirements.
- Once you pass the test (congratulations!), TREC will issue you an inactive license. Now it’s time to find a broker!
2. Become a REALTOR®
Once you move from being a real estate agent to a REALTOR®, you can use the REALTOR® branding following your name, which gives you added credibility throughout the real estate industry, state and local membership, and networking access.
Choose a Broker
Choosing a sponsoring broker will activate your license so that you can start practicing real estate.
Once you choose a broker you need to request your online sponsorship with TREC.
Things to keep in mind when selecting a broker…
- Learn about their reputation and niche
- What type of brokerage culture do they facilitate?
- Choose between a franchise or independent brokerage.
- What support training and onboarding will they provide?
- Ask about the commission and benefits that they offer.
Become a WCREALTORS Member
Once you obtain a sponsoring broker they will direct you to join a board. The Williamson County Association of REALTORS® provides our members with:
- World class customer service that is specifically tailored to YOU!
- Live member support equipped to assist in any way.
- Hundreds of live & hybrid Continuing Education opportunities.
- A multitude of Networking Opportunities & Events.
- Highly valued Market Statistics & Trends.
- A highly talented staff who are eager to support your membership needs.
- Centrally located in Williamson County
Become a member of WCREALTORS here.
3. Unlock the World of Real Estate
Once you’re a WCREALTORS Member you’ll want to get started on the following:
Welcome to Just North of Weird!
At The Williamson County Association of REALTORS® we believe that all members should have a chance to get involved! We the opportunity to volunteer as a committee member in 10 standing committees within the association. These small groups of individuals work to plan and carry out many of the activities that we do.
These areas of service include:
- Board of Directors
- Bylaws & Policy Committee
- Candidate Vetting Committee
- Credentialing Committee
- Finance Committee
- Government Affairs Committee
- Membership Committee
- MLS Committee
- Professional Development Committee
- TREPAC Committee
Check Out our Continuing Education Catalog
Explore Your Member Benefits
As a member of the Williamson County Association of REALTORS®, Texas REALTORS® and the National Association of REALTORS® you have access to many different types of member benefits including NAR REALTOR Benefits® Program.
Things to Remember!
- NAR Code of Ethics must be renewed every 3 years
- Annual Board Dues are due on December 15 of each year
- MLS fees & due dates are dependent on which MLS you subscribe to
Who We R
Williamson County REALTORS® recognizes that its members have a choice of which Association to partner with and to which Multiple Listing Systems to subscribe.
The reality that WCREALTORS members choose partnership with us is not one that is taken for granted. The Board of Directors and the staff vow to act with a great sense of purpose to accomplish the Associations Mission by helping members Unlock the World of Real Estate.
Williamson County REALTORS® is both hyper-local and hyper- focused. In demonstration of that between 2022 and 2026, Williamson County REALTORS® will continue to focus on setting and keeping the PACE for its membership:
Promote WCREALTORS members in Central Texas, the Code of Ethics, and professional standards while fostering diverse and inclusive communities.
Advocate by means of identifying and harnessing resources directed as protecting real property rights and increasing political awareness.
Connect REALTORS®, Affiliates, consumers and persons with real pro[erty industry connections throughout our community.
Educate members in areas of geographic competence within Central Texas perinent to the real estate industry.